X-Ray Protection Program
The X-ray protection program aims to minimize all radiation exposures and to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and license conditions.
Radiation Exposure Monitoring
All persons whose work is associated with X-ray radiation that could result in an exposure above 500 millirem must wear a dosimeter. More stringent exposure limits apply to persons who are underage or pregnant. To receive a dosimetry badge, contact your supervisor for enrollment details.
Individual Dose History
You can also get your individual dose history by contacting the Safety Office at 5-SAFE.
X-Ray Producing Equipment Inspections
In accordance with the IEMA 32 Illinois Administrative Code 320.70, the Environmental Safety and Compliance office will:
- Annually arrange to have a diagnostic imaging specialist perform X-ray equipment evaluations
- Oversee quality assurance programs
- Annually coordinate the inspections of X-ray shielding devices
X-Ray Safety Training
All employees assigned to work in or frequent areas where radiation producing equipment is used are required to attend an OSHA awareness level training.
Topics covered in training include:
- Instructions in the safety problems associated with exposure to radiation
- Instruction in shield devices to minimize exposure
- Instruction in the time and distance provision for protection from exposure
- Use of individual monitoring devices and advising of reports of radiation exposure
- Operating and emergency procedure for the radiation machine
- Use of patient protective devices
- Procedures for minimizing patient and occupation doses
Phone Pager Email
Environmental Health & Safety
Request a Service
Our Operations teams ensure the safety, sustainability and efficiency of all our hospitals and facilities that we manage. Click on the links below to request a service or to learn more about Facilities Planning, Design and Construction.